The Kenneth P. Burbidge Jr. Family Athletics Academic Center, which opened in May of 2001, is a national-class academic facility. Reserved for Utah’s varsity student-athletes, the Burbidge Center is known for its aesthetics, technological offerings and academic service. The building features a student-athlete lounge, classroom, individual and group tutoring rooms, study table, computer lab, and offices for student-athlete support personnel.
Student Athlete Support
Our athletics department has always been committed to providing top-level academic support services to our teams,” said Utah coach Greg Marsden. “When a gymnast comes to the University of Utah, we can guarantee her not only the best in training facilities, competition, fan support and media exposure, but also the best possible academic experience.
- Student-athletes receive priority registration.
- iPads are provided to all scholarship student-athletes. Apps for word processing (Pages, spreadsheets (Numbers), presentations (Keynote), note taking and recording of lectures (Notability) and electronic textbooks (Kno) are also provided.
- Academic mentors are provided to all entering freshmen and to anyone who requests one.
- Tutors are available for all classes offered at the University and are offered on an individual, group, or drop-in basis. Tutors may travel with the team to away meets and tests may be proctored while at away meets.
- Laptop computers may be checked out for use during travel to away meets.
- A summer "Bridge" program for entering freshmen.
- Summer school and fifth-year scholarships are provided.
Athletics department placement personnel help student-athletes find job shadowing experiences, internships, summer and post graduate employment.
Utah student-athletes receive award-winning support. Student-athletes are encouraged to develop their leadership skills in the Utes CHAMPS/Life Skills Program that includes:
- Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC)
- Student Athlete Mentor (SAMS)
- Community Service
- Career Development
- Leadership Conferences
- Utes Speakers Bureau
Twelve Utah gymnasts, along with two student coaches, were named Scholar All-Americans by the National Association of Collegiate Gymnastics Coaches (NACGC): Hailee Hansen and Breanna Hughes both recorded 4.0 GPAs, while Kailah Delaney posted a 3.97 GPA. Other Utes named as 2013 NACGC Scholar All-Americans were: Mary Beth Lofgren (3.85), Becky Tutka (3.85), Nansy Damianova (3.83), Georgia Dabritz (3.82), Haley Lange (3.81), Lia Del Priore (3.76), Corrie Lothrop (3.76), Kassandra Lopez (3.55), Tory Wilson (3.55), and student coaches Victoria Shanley (3.89) and Alyssa Gale (3.64).
Utah finished third in the nation in 2012-13 with a team cumulative GPA of 3.6920. Utah's team GPA and its total number of Scholar All-Americans (14) led the Pac-12 and was the best of the teams that qualified into the 2013 NCAA Championships.
NCAA Team GPAs 2000-12